Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Zip! Zilch! Zero!

That's how many redwork blocks I did yesterday! I did however get all the stitched blocks pieced together and hope to put the first border around them and then start doing the "fly stitch" along along the block seams. Did I mention that this quilt is very labor intensive? I am enjoying it though...embroidery was my introduction to needle work and it is still my first love. So portable and versatile. I have such special memories of sitting with my Gran and stitching with her, while she did her "fancy work" as she called it. When she passed away I asked Mom if she could get me one of Gran's aprons ( she always wore an apron over her work dress) or her embroiderd pieces. Fortunately I got one of each. The embroidery piece was done on a bleached sugar sack and was done quite late in her life so the stitches are big, uneven and the colors are way out there, but that's ok with me...it's special because of who made it and because of all the memories it stirs up when I take it out and use it. ( I use it to cover my bread dough while it is rising)

 I have another stitchery project to do, but I am trying to hold off a bit. It may be the perfect handwork project to take on my trip in September; one piece of fabric and one color of floss. Simple and uncomplicated and not too bulky.
I have a busy day. Still have lots of rhubarb, so I am making a batch of freezer rhubarb/strawberry jam. ( I have to go pick the strawberries first) So yummy! I may get those strawberry rhubarb pies done too, although it would be better to wait until Friday and then I would not have to freeze them. I have company coming this weekend. Looking forward to seeing them and also looking forward to having a

little time

 to do

 this

too...


This is how summer days are meant to be spent.


or maybe stretched out in the hammock with a good book and a glass of lemonade.
I really hope to set aside at least one hour for the hammock and book idea. In fact I may just "do" lunch in the hammock today.

I'll be back tomorrow with pics of the center of my WW quilt.

Oh by the way, the title of this blog post brings me to the end of the alphabet postings. It's been challenging but fun.

3 comments:

  1. ahhh. man do i agree with little froggy 100%. Lay back and relax and enjoy summer for it is far to short! I too pour myself tall glasses of fresh lemonade and hit the deck or hammock and just realx with a book. but not today...off to my big pre-op physical! Can't wait to see your redwork center finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure wish I could join you for a glass of that lemonade. Off to the cottage this afternoon. Working on the hardwood flooring tomorrow. I'll look forward to a day in Tabusintac soon.
    Congratulations Barb....can't wait to see what you'll create with your new charm pack.

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that frog. He looks blissful doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.