Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Motivation, Family, and Quotes

My sister made a comment on a previous post about needing to be motivated to get back to her quilting projects. Here is what I said to her,
 " You know what I did. I committed to just one hour a day to finish a block. Then I wanted to get the next block done...
change it up a bit, start making some of your star blocks for the border. They look so nice that it really inspires you to get the next one done. Start with the 12" blocks...there are only 4 of them; one morning's work...just one morning.
A couple times last week I knew I was busy, but I set the alarm on my cell phone for one hour. Amazing how much you can get done in an hour...try it. I am trying to not to sweat the small stuff...so what if the shade of red is off a bit, or there is too much cream in one corner. When it is all quilted it really does not stand out.
Come on commit to starting the 12" pieced blocks...I still have to do 2 of them. Lets make a date...tomorrow morning. What time do you want to meet at our machines? Well our cutting tables really. We can each do the same block. How about the maple star block in 12 "? I need to do that one. Call me and we can put it on speaker phone till we get started...I'll be waiting.
Just promise not to put me to shame and leave me in your dust."


Well you know what? She took me up on the challenge and we are meeting at our sewing tables at 9 my time; 6 her time. You see we live 3000 miles apart, but that shouldn't stop us from being able to sew together. With the technology we have available to us and phone plans being what they are, this is doable!

Choosing a goal and sticking to it changes everything.     Scott Reed

I sure wish we lived closer together. I speak to people sometimes who see family members once or twice a year and they are only 2 hours drive away from each other...I can't understand it.
One of the positive things that have come about as a result of Mom's accident last summer is that I have been able to spend a lot more time with both of my sisters and my brother. I know there were days when I whined about being lonesome for Mr. O and my home, but I do cherish the times we had with Mom over the last year.

Back row; Barb and Wendy. Front: Gary and Pam

Pam gave me a copy of a picture of us three girls that is very special to me. I have it framed and beside another framed sketch of 3 ladies walking arm in arm with a quote above it.

This is the quote;

When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us? ~Pam Brown

....and another one I came across this morning....

How do people make it through life without a sister? ~Sara Corpening

I am gone to sew with my sister, be back later with results.




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.