Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The rest of the story...and working on my PhD

Yesterday I showed you a picture of one of my birthday gifts and said there was a story about it and I would would tell you that story today...
When I unwrapped my birthday gift from my sister-in-law , it was this glass slipper ...



...this antique glass slipper.
Many, many years ago; the first time I had ever met Mr. O's Mom and Dad, I noticed this glass slipper on a curio shelf in the dining room of their home. It almost seemed magical to me...too many Cinderella stories as a girl I guess.

Over the years whenever visiting their home I would occasionally take it down and admire it. I am not sure exactly when, but one day while visiting Mr. O's sister I noticed it had been given a place of honour on her sideboard in the dining room. A normal thing to happen...passed down from mother to daughter. Still occasionally I would admire it. 

This year it became my birthday gift from my good friend and sister in law. 

On the outside of the package was a label that read, "Happy Birthday Wendy from Louise and Mom". 

Puzzling but still no clue... Along with the package was a card with a note inside, "Happy Birthday Wendy, this probably means more than any other store bought gift...a real treasure for you. xx"
Needless to day when I opened it, it brought tears to my eyes. What an unselfish and thoughtful gift...because you see she lost her Mom this year as well and it must have been hard to let it go.
Thank you Louise, I will treasure it.

"The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious."

Author: Martin Luther

 I had a birthday yesterday, and sometimes when I think about it, I feel old, but there is a birthday our family celebrates today that definitely makes me feel old. Our oldest grandchild turns 2o today! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear where has the time gone. 



It seems like just a few short years ago we were holding hands and singing "Barney" songs and now he is a young man with a job and purchasing his first car...there have been some bumps in the road, but Keith you are turning into a fine young man. 


Happy Birthday from Nan.

I know people usually make New Years Resolutions, but I made mine early this year. Birthdays are great for new beginnings and I plan on being very productive this year. It will be a challenge at my age but I have decided to work on my PhD. 


 



There is still no cure for the common birthday.  ~John Glenn



3 comments:

  1. The little thoughtful gifts are the best aren't they?
    I can't believe Keith is twenty.
    I will look forward to seeing all your finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well wen here i am i told id get here and im in tears already !! and wen your not gonna believe this but i got the same shoe that louise sent you buy my is blue or should i say your new one is blue and mom gave it to me this summer she got it downstairs at here apartment and thought i would like it ! being a shoe and all!! this is crazy get to your blog and thats the first thing i read ....i got goose bumbs all over !! im heading to bed but im gonna be your crazy fan on your blog starting in the morning ! cuz im such a morning person and all !! ill show you your new blue glass slipper tommorow on skype k ! i love you wen !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah how sweet of louise...made me think of pam and she so graciously gave that book to auntie eunice. Gifts thst just keep giving,eh

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.