Friday, August 15, 2014

License to Quilt

I've been quilting for about 15 years now and I only just got my license.(s)

While in Ontario last month I participated in the Row by Row Experience Shop Hop. It is a summer long shop hop taking place in the U.S. and Ontario. Many of the shops had personalized fabric license plates made for the Hop with a catchy message as well as their shop name on it.
Each shop drafted a pattern for a row of a quilt and the pattern is free for the asking. The only stipulation is that you have to pick it up in person. Not by mail, or email or getting a friend to get your copy. The theme was Four Seasons.
You can read about the details and check out some of the shop plates HERE

I am making progress on my Jumping Jacks quilt. I finished the 7th and prepped 3 more for tomorrow.


BLOCK 7


3 more waiting in the wings.

I would like a little input though. What do you think of the grey floral? Would it be a good choice for one of the remaining blocks?



I made my batch of blueberry muffins and I am sharing the recipe in case anyone is interested.
I took a basic Blueberry Muffin recipe and changed a few things and added a glaze.

LEMON GLAZED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
Stir these dry ingredients together and add 1 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen
Set aside.
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup of lemon yogurt

Mix well. I usually add all these wet ingredients into a mason jar or my Tupperware gravy shaker bottle and give it a good shake.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet in. Stir just enough to moisten all the flour etc. Over mixing makes tough muffins.
Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes in greased muffin pans. Recipe says it makes 12 but I prefer to get 9 or 10 larger ones.

Lemon glaze
I squeeze the juice of a lemon in a bowl. Add the grated rind and then add enough icing sugar to make it the consistency of honey.
When the muffins come out of the oven I dunk the tops of the muffins in the glaze once or twice. Let them cool and then drizzle more of the glaze over cooled muffins.


I purchased a movie on itunes today to watch while I was sewing. I had seen it before but I am a sucker for Katherine Hepburn and even though her part was small it was thoroughly enjoyable. The movie is called Love Affair, staring Warren Beatty and Annette Benning with a small part by Kate. It is a third time remake of a movie Love Affaire(1939) and An Affair to Remember (1957) a story about two high-profile types both engaged to be married to other people, meet and fall in love during a business trip. They want to go back to their respective fiancees to end things properly and if they still feel the same about each other, the have agreed to meet at a certain date and time...
Although I have seen both versions from 1957 and 1994, I totally enjoyed it again today. If you like chick flicks , i think you will love this one!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've been acquiring license plates, too. Some of my quilt friends and I are collecting them for each other as we travel around this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics in your Jumping Jacks quilt is beautiful. And those muffins look yummy--thank you for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.