Monday, November 19, 2012

A Mini BLOG HOP and a Good Read.

This post could also have been titled, A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS... I am back from another road trip and I have to say it was a lot of driving but so nice to see family again. Mr. O had a business meeting in our nations capital on Thursday, so I went along. Up early Wednesday morning and on the road by 5 a.m.  We drove the 1000 km. and were there in time to do a bit of shopping at MEC . Got me some new winter walking shoes and stuff...
After a wonderful supper at the Hotel's Italian Eatery, GRAFFITI where I ate the best Caesar Salad in my life, I spent the rest of the evening in the room while Mr. O met with a former co-worker downstairs. I had a few hours to catch up on my reading...I mentioned I was reading a book.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

I am finished it. It was wonderful! Magical! Almost like a fairy tale for adults...a couple's lives are changed forever by the arrival of a wild and secretive little girl, who arrives on their snowy doorstep.
This is what Amazon says about it;

"Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them."

A big thumbs up from me. I loved it. Now, more than ever I want to go to Alaska...

Before we left home, Mr.O called me from work one day and said he found about 8 or 9 quilt shops in the Ottawa area. He googled them, printed maps; checked out their websites...what a keeper that guy is eh?
So after a lovely breakfast, again at Graffiti's, I dropped Mr. O off at his meeting and I was on a mission... to Hop to as many Shops as I could manage in the time I had available (about 5 hours)
Let me back up though... to breakfast. After reading through the breakfast menu, I decided on Italian Toast (Graffiti's twist on a French classic)

Fresh mango stuffed grilled Italian Panini, rolled in an oat crust, and topped with almonds, Served with maple syrup, a side of bacon and fresh blackberries and strawberries drizzled with raspberry coulis.
Definitely 5 stars and definitely worth stopping for if you are ever in the area!
I will be trying to replicate that meal one day...

Ok, let's go shopping!
Armed with my map (coutesy of Mr. O)

and my trusty GPS I was off! First stop (actually my second, but the first is not worth mentioning) was The Running Stitch

I had a wonderful time browsing, and shopping and talking with the shop owner Michelle. She wasted no time in telling me about a big even they are prepping for. Ricky Tims is coming to Ottawa, Canada. It sounds like a great event. Workshops, trunk show and a concert. They are still working out the details but Michelle suggested I spread the word and maybe get a bus load of quilters from New Brunswick to come join the fun; whaddya think?

The shop had a workshop (one of many offered) in progress

Loads of wonderful samples!






This landscape is from an Ottawa area quilt designer's pattern.
This miniature is just wonderful...and measures in at about 12 inches in total!


Loads of fabric and books and patterns. One in particular that I wanted, was only being delivered later in the day, so I may have to order it by phone and let Canada Post make the delivery. It is the cutest advent calendar

They even made choosing the right kind of batting fun!

Do you get Better Homes and Garden Quilt Sampler magazine? Do you have the Fall 2011 issue? If you do, then they can tell you all about the Running Stitch, because they were featured in that issue! 
I almost caved and bought the kit for quilt from that issue, but I figured I had done enough damage for one visit.

Oh my, I do tend to go on and on, once I get started, but when it is some of my "favourite things" I am talking about, there is just so much to say. 
How about we finish the rest of the Shop Hop tomorrow?
See you back here tomorrow...same time, same place!









Italian Toast (Graffiti's twist on a French classic!)11.99
 Mango-stuffed grilled house Italian panini, rolled in an oat crust, and topped with almonds. Accompanied with fresh maple syrup, and served with your choice of bacon, capicola ham or farmers’ s

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Mr. O is really a keeper! The hotel restaurant sounds... specacular, too. That looks like a great quilt shop! I think it is really a coincidence that a week or two ago I went to a quilt shop that was featured in that same magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day that must have been! That quilt shop looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun fun fun...I can't wait for us to do our shop hoppin together in Arizona...I hear there are many in the Phoenix area...I especially love the one of the stairs and door and of course the log cabin...I just love when quilting looks like a peice of art! Off to see Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great Shop Hop.. I LOVE The Running Stitch! It's a great shop - wish it was closer...
    I am looking for that Fall 2011 Quilt Sampler magazine - to borrow - I will return it - does anyone in your Guild get it? Could you ask "the girls"??

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.