Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TIME WITH GRANNY AND CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

I am going away for a bit of a mini vacation in less than 48 hours so I really had a long list of things that needed doing, but I felt the need to spend time with Granny. For awhile now I have been seeing posts about a Granny Square Quilt Along that was posted at the Old Red Barn . The tutorial is courtesy of Blue Elephant Stitches . She has a fresh, bright and colourful approach to quilting. Today I decided I could not take it anymore, I needed To make a Granny Square for myself.



I thought I would do a practice run with some of my stash. Many years ago at retreat I had won a jelly roll of neutrals and had never found the right project for them, so today I dug them out to audition for background fabric for ONE  block.

They are addictive little things and before long I had 4 blocks sitting on my table and had left a mess in my wake but look how pretty they are!

I a a sucker for scrappy quilts and this one just called out to me. My original intention was to try a block with a black background, because my favourite crocheted granny afghan has a black background so if it works with yarn it should work with fabric. I got sidetracked though and the black block did not get made. Another day...
On Friday past. Mr. O and I were invited to a children's puppet theatre production as part of their home schooling program;  I was asked to bring a cake, but decided that cupcakes were easier to serve and would probably be a bigger hit with the kids andI was right...both big and small kids gobbled them up. They were home made chocolate cupcakes with Chocolate ganache frosting topped with a Cadbury egg. Have a look...




The choc. frosting recipe in the book is yummy too but if you want the Quick and Easy Ganache recipe I can post that later.


4 comments:

  1. I need to make some of those Granny squares - yours look great. Still thinking about your suggestion for the black background & Countdown to Christmas. Cupcakes look yummy ..... maybe someday the Cupcake fairy will stop by ????

    Sue W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the post at Blue Elephant stitches and liked the pattern. Yours is pretty.
    And the cupcakes are even prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy!!! We're talkin' chocolate here! Do you need to ask if we want the recipe???? Of course we do!!!
    Love your scrappy blocks too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy!!! We're talkin' chocolate here! Do you need to ask if we want the recipe???? Of course we do!!!
    Love your scrappy blocks too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.