Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TIME WITH GRANNY AND CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

I am going away for a bit of a mini vacation in less than 48 hours so I really had a long list of things that needed doing, but I felt the need to spend time with Granny. For awhile now I have been seeing posts about a Granny Square Quilt Along that was posted at the Old Red Barn . The tutorial is courtesy of Blue Elephant Stitches . She has a fresh, bright and colourful approach to quilting. Today I decided I could not take it anymore, I needed To make a Granny Square for myself.



I thought I would do a practice run with some of my stash. Many years ago at retreat I had won a jelly roll of neutrals and had never found the right project for them, so today I dug them out to audition for background fabric for ONE  block.

They are addictive little things and before long I had 4 blocks sitting on my table and had left a mess in my wake but look how pretty they are!

I a a sucker for scrappy quilts and this one just called out to me. My original intention was to try a block with a black background, because my favourite crocheted granny afghan has a black background so if it works with yarn it should work with fabric. I got sidetracked though and the black block did not get made. Another day...
On Friday past. Mr. O and I were invited to a children's puppet theatre production as part of their home schooling program;  I was asked to bring a cake, but decided that cupcakes were easier to serve and would probably be a bigger hit with the kids andI was right...both big and small kids gobbled them up. They were home made chocolate cupcakes with Chocolate ganache frosting topped with a Cadbury egg. Have a look...




The choc. frosting recipe in the book is yummy too but if you want the Quick and Easy Ganache recipe I can post that later.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to make some of those Granny squares - yours look great. Still thinking about your suggestion for the black background & Countdown to Christmas. Cupcakes look yummy ..... maybe someday the Cupcake fairy will stop by ????

Sue W.

HollyM said...

I saw the post at Blue Elephant stitches and liked the pattern. Yours is pretty.
And the cupcakes are even prettier!

Linda H said...

Wendy!!! We're talkin' chocolate here! Do you need to ask if we want the recipe???? Of course we do!!!
Love your scrappy blocks too! ;)

Linda H said...

Wendy!!! We're talkin' chocolate here! Do you need to ask if we want the recipe???? Of course we do!!!
Love your scrappy blocks too! ;)

IT AINT OVER TIL ITS OVER

I have a post title and I am all set up to write but excuse me for a minute...I need to go back and read my last post. It has been so long s...